Apple sales have been a bit disappointing in the past couple of years and the company has made from very questionable decisions with its tech. Most people weren’t pleased when the latest iPhones came without a headphone jack and the lack of enough ports in the latest Macbooks have also been a subject of debate. Needless to say, the company needs to do something radical to bring customers back to the Apple landscape and rumor has it that they aim to do just that with next year’s models.
New Changes in Store
Nothing is official yet but past experience has shown that Apple related rumors can be pretty accurate, especially if you choose a reliable source to get your information. Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo from KGI Securities has confirmed four of the biggest speculations leaked in MacRumors.
- OLED screens that have been so common in Android phones while finally come to iPhones in 2017.
- There will be three models instead of two next year. You can expect a 5.8-inch screen model along with 4.7 inch and 5.5 inch models.
- These models will have glass unibody rather than metal unibody of the current iPhones. Tech-savvy people will know that glass unibody will offer better reception.
- iPhone users will also finally get wireless charging, thanks to the glass unibody as well.
This is good news for most iPhone users who have demanded wireless charging and OLED screens for a while now. Experts at Wall Street Journal have also claimed that you might see edgeless or curved-edge displays similar to those in Samsung phones.
Possible New Design Features
That’s not all. Other sources suggest that there might be a few more tweaks in the overall design of the iPhones aside from the glass unibody. According to 9to5Mac, the possible changes could include:
- The Apple Home Button might be a thing of the past in next year’s upgrade. This would mean that the phones would have a smaller chin and thinner bezels this time around.
- This would allow the company to create phones with larger screens but smaller form factor. For example, the 5.8-inch model will be just as big as the 5.5-inch iPhone 7 Plus that was released this year.
Apple Needs Change
iPhone has a cult following with loyal customers buying the new models every year despite the lack of features or high-end specs. Nevertheless, the fans have been very disappointed with the latest releases and want something new. Next year might just give them what they need and bring the company the boost it needs. The lack of the headphone jack in this year’s phone didn’t do much for them so they need.
Next year, with the OLED display and the fingerprint sensor possibly placed directly on the screen, iPhone just might bring enough innovativeness to the table to convince customers. It is certain that Apple is very serious about the redesign because it has already cancelled one iPhone mid-production in order to meet better standards.