After the removal of Google Maps from iOS 6 , Google has been working to develop a stand-alone map app for iOS . Finally the wait is over , Google Maps was officially released on iOS App Store yesterday for free .
Although the application runs on iPad also , it’s made specifically for iPhone . The iPad version is not out yet . The app brings the same but improved native Google Map feeling to iOS 6 including a new feature , turn-by-turn navigation . Additionally it includes Satellite View , turn-by-turn directions, Street view and much more . So far I have to say that the app functions better and smoothly, data’s load up pretty quickly and the interface looks nice and clean .
Although the app was released yesterday, Google has now become the top free iPhone app on the App Store . Additionally Google has admitted that the application is better compared to Android according to New York Times’ columnist David Pogue :
“Google admits that it’s even better than Google Maps for Android phones, which has accommodated its evolving feature set mainly by piling on menus…”
Here is Google’s full release description :
“Navigate your world with Google Maps, now available for iPhone. Get comprehensive, accurate and easy-to-use maps with built-in Google local search, voice guided turn-by-turn navigation, public transit directions, Street View and more. Use Google Maps to discover great places to eat, drink, shop and play, with ratings and reviews from people you trust. Sign in to save your favorite places and quickly access all your past searches and directions from your computer, right on your phone.
* Find addresses, places and businesses around the world with Google local search.
* Discover places to eat, drink, shop and play, with ratings and local reviews.
* Sign in to sync your searches, directions, and favorite places between your computer and your phone.
* Get voice guided, turn-by-turn driving directions.
* Find your way by train, bus, subway or walking directions.
* Access live traffic information in cities across the world.
Street View and imagery
* View 360-degree panoramas of places around the globe with Street View.
* See inside more than 100,000 businesses worldwide.
* View high resolution satellite imagery of locations around the world.
Simple and easy to use
* An entirely new Google Maps experience on your iPhone.
* Newly designed and streamlined interface for even easier navigation of your world.
* Use gestures to explore the map and browse results.”
You can download Google Maps from App Store for Free . Feel free to share your comments below .